Saturday 7 July 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo Review | Tough As Taupe and Bold Gold

Maybelline Color Tattoos are cream eyeshadows, similar in concept to the MAC Paint Pots. The collection includes a range of bright and eye catching colours to be used as an eyeshadow base, or for stand alone wear. They have been generating quite a bit of hype since their release in the US and UK earlier this year. Originally they weren't rumoured to make their Aussie debut until the end of this year, but thankfully Maybelline released them here at the beginning of the month.


The Target I got them from stocked five shades. I picked up Tough As Taupe and Bold Gold. The other shades available were Tenacious Teal (a bright shimmery blue), Painted Purple (a bright purple with subtle shimmer) and Audacious Asphalt (a shimmery black). I'm not sure how many of the 10 shades are available here, but I know that there are more than the five I tracked down.


Tough As Taupe is a highly pigmented grey taupe colour. When applied it is much darker and grey than it appears in the pot, but can be sheered out in to a beautiful and wearable taupe.


Bold Gold is much, much brighter than it appears here, with a very true yellow gold appearance. It is very shimmery, both in the pot and when applied, and catches the light beautifully. This one is definitely not for the faint of heart or those looking for a subtle gold shimmer.


Their formula is quite thick and somewhat on the dry side. That said, they can be sheered out and blended fairly easily, as long as you work quickly. On the lid, once they are dry, they are impossible to budge, even with vigorous rubbing. 

The biggest drawing point of the Color Tattoos is the wear time. I have very oily lids and watery eyes that can crease any eyeshadow within a couple of hours. These, however, I can wear for more than 8-9 hours without primer and have absolutely no creasing or fading. No other eye product I have tried has lasted as well as these do on me.

The one draw back to the Color Tattoos is the lack of everyday wearable colours. For me, Tough As Taupe is the only colour I can realistically wear to work. I understand that their aim in developing the current line was to create daring and bold colours (and boy did they do it well), but I hope that once seeing how popular they have been, they might consider releasing some more shades.

I haven't been able to find a full list of stockists, but I know that they are available at Target and Priceline for around $11.95. I was shocked to see how reasonable the pricing on these was compared to the US and UK, where they sell for the equivalent of about $7 (don't get me started on the triple priced Revlon Lip Butters). Next I'm hoping to hunt down Pomegranate Punk and Bad To The Bronze.

Overall Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...